Gaile Golladay and I discuss life, love, and your skin. This podcast episode could save your life, with tips on skin care & skin cancer.
Gaile Golladay is owner of Renouvelle Day Spa in Danville, California. Her phone number is (925) 820-8383.
Special thanks to Aurora Jose for connecting me with Gaile.
Three major types of skin cancer
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Melanoma is the most aggressive and deadliest.
- Gaile Golladay discusses her very recent experience with squamous cell carcinoma, her second skin cancer episode.
- Get examined by a dermatologist regularly. Once a year.
- Mohs surgery was developed in the 1930’s to treat skin cancer.
Other skincare tips from Gaile Golladay
- Use sunscreen regularly, even on overcast days.
- Even if you spend most of your time indoors, remember you can get exposed to the sun on your commute. More skin cancers are found on the left side of the body in the U.S. due to sun exposure while driving. In the U.K. that would be on the right side of the body.
- Fifteen to twenty minutes of daily sun exposure can be beneficial for your body’s production of Vitamin D, anything longer is not necessary.
- Re-apply every two hours, sunscreen rapidly loses its effectiveness.
- A sunscreen with a high SPF (sun protection factor), like 70, can contain higher concentrations of active ingredients which may be toxic, so find a lower SPF sunscreen and re-apply more often.
- Sunscreen sitting in the bottle does lose effectiveness over time, and discard old bottles that are over three years old.
- Interesting article on the positive impact of drinking more water
- Determine your Fitzpatrick Skin Type. Gaile Golladay briefly mentions this.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is married to Queen Elizabeth II.
- Gene Kelly, dancing legend, is most famous for his roles in An American in Paris and Singin’ in the Rain. Gaile Golladay missed dancing with him by four days!
- Islington, where Gaile Golladay grew up, is a long walk from King’s Cross station. King’s Cross is the station where the Hogwarts Express train in the Harry Potter books starts.
- Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel is the product Gaile Golladay recommended to me years ago to keep my skin feeling clean. I had started running and cycling more and could not get rid of the sweaty feeling on my face. This solved that.
- Clarisonic is the sonic cleansing system we discussed. There are several other competing brands including Soniclear, Olay, and Clinique, among others.
- Gretna Green is the town in Scotland famous for runaway marriages. Gaile Golladay’s parents were married here according to her.